Green Beans with Mushroom Cream Sauce
Skip the standard green bean casserole and serve this stovetop option instead. Use fresh or frozen green beans to enjoy it any time of the year.
Serves: 4Prep: 15 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons shallot, finely chopped
- 8 ounces Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- Bring pot of water to boil. Add green beans; cook 3 to 5 minutes, until bright green and still crisp.
- Transfer beans to bowl of ice water to stop cooking. This step can be done up to 1 day in advance. Dry beans and store refrigerated.
- When it’s time to serve, heat butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and mushrooms; cook until mushrooms have released liquid and liquid has evaporated, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and sherry. Continue cooking until sherry has reduced and pan is almost dry.
- Add cream. Continue cooking 3 to 5 minutes or until thick enough to coat back of spoon. Stir in nutmeg.
- Toss green beans with sauce; cook until heated through and green beans are desired tenderness. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Refrigerate leftovers.