Chickpea Tikka Masala
A squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkling of cilantro add a pleasant brightness to this warming plant-based dish.
Serves: 4Prep: 10 minutesCook: 4 hours 10 minutesTotal: 4 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1½ cups)
- 2 teaspoons minced, fresh ginger
- 1 fresh jalapeño, minced (for less heat, remove seeds)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1⁄3 teaspoon Simple Truth Organic™ Ground Coriander
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can (28 oz.) whole tomatoes
- 1 can (13.5 oz.) Simple Truth Organic™ Coconut Milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cans (15 oz. each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro leaves
- Simple Truth Organic™ 90 Second Basmati Rice
- In medium skillet over medium-high heat, combine oil and onion. Cook until onion has softened, about 8 minutes. Add ginger, jalapeño, garlic, garam masala, coriander and tomato paste; continue cooking 1 minute.
- In blender, combine tomatoes, coconut milk, sugar and onion-spice mixture. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer to slow cooker; add chickpeas and salt. Cook on low 4 hours. Just before serving, add lemon juice and cilantro leaves. Serve over cooked basmati rice. Refrigerate leftovers.